Sunday, May 30, 2010

Metabolism

I had something explained to me this week in a new light and I wanted to share. I keep on thinking I will have time to research a source so I'm not sharing misinformation, but I really don't think that will happen so I'm just going to post some "facts" according to Andi.

We all know that metabolism is basically the number of calories our bodies use. I guess this happens in 3 basic categories: rest, exercise, and digestion. Digestion accounts for the smallest amount of calories burned, about 10%. Exercise is the one we have the most control over. It can account for 15-25%. This will depend on how active we are etc. It's our resting metabolism, however, that makes the biggest difference. It accounts for 55-65%!!! I want to know how I can burn more calories while I'm sleeping.

It's easy (in theory). First, increase your lean muscle mass. This is one reason why strength training is so important. The more lean muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn. Next, increase your heart rate. This is where the cardio workouts come in. I also like to do some interval training because the more you push it, the more of a difference it makes. I can't run a 7 minute mile, but I can run at that pace for 90 seconds. Couple that with 60 seconds of walking and repeat 10 time and you've got yourself a very good, metabolism boosting workout.

I love the feeling of being healthy and active. Right now, I'm a work in progress and the progression is slow, but it feels better and better the more I do. Maybe this is why.

No comments:

Post a Comment